ANNA WINTOUR AND KEN DOWNING TALK SPRING TRENDS
It feels so strange to be typing a blog right now.. It’s been so long I had to look up my password to login. I guess you can say that motherhood has gotten the best of me. I’ve had every intent of logging on, but the next thing you know its 11:00pm and all I’m trying to do is get some kind of sleep in to get ready for the next day. BUT I’M BACK! I think I’m finally getting the hang of my new addition and balancing my life. I’ve started styling again and contributing my Fat Finds page in the newly revamped LOCAL MAGAZINE (formerly 002mag). OH EM GEE, have you had a chance to check it out?! It’s insane.. I’m so proud to be part of it.
So now that I’ve returned to styling and personal shopping the only thing left to do on my check list is get this baby weight off. Don’t be surprised if you see me talking more about accessories and shoes since those are the only things that fit me right now. haha
Speaking of getting back into the swing of things, I attended my first event post baby.. and boy was it a good one! Anna Wintour (Editor in Chief of Vogue magazine- like I really needed to say that) and Ken Downing (fashion director for Neiman Marcus) hosted a fashion chat and luncheon at Neiman Marcus Houston Galleria to talk fashion and upcoming trends. When I got the invitation I was so excited, but then reality sunk in. Remember that baby weight that I still need to get rid of? Well nothing like knowing that you are going to be meeting fashion royalty and realizing that, once again, the only thing that fits you is your shoes and handbags. But I sucked it up (and IN for that matter) and went with the white on white trend that is everywhere right now. I had a pair of Derek Lam slouchy trousers that were DRAWSTRING and an open knit Vince sweater. In retrospect, an all black outfit probably would have been more flattering, but it was the first day of spring and I was feeling ballzy (I like my ballzy with a z).
It was a great talk and they hit on all of the trends that are headed our way this spring all the way into fall. Be on the lookout for:
1. a 70’s revival.. think Stevie Nicks: bell-bottoms, clogs, fringe, vests. If you ask me, it’s “festival season” fashion to wear past the festival season.
2. longer lengths: It’s time for the midis, maxis, and culottes to take center stage. And the length doesn’t just pertain to the bottoms. They are also going long on top with tunics and vests.
3. Solid more chunky heels shoes and gladiator sandals! And yes ladies, there are gladiator sandals for all leg types.. I’ll be posting some of my favorites soon.
4. Androgynous dressing: girls have been borrowing from the boys for a while and now its their turn to take from the girls.
5. The color red, in all shades, which is good considering Masala is Pantone’s color of the year and I haven’t seen much of it yet.
And once their chat was finished.. we sat for lunch and look where I was seated! By the one and only Ken Downing. I had to take a picture so it would last longer.
It was such a fun and inspiring event. I can’t wait to share ways to wear the trends and show you some of my favorite pieces that are out this season.
In the meantime you can:
check out Local Houston Magazine here
Get similar slouchy trousers here
Get a similar sweater here